Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Twitter, and What I Found There

Physiology Major


  1. After researching the very broad major of physiology (pre-medicine), I can report I was presented with almost exactly the type content I was expecting. The majority of the time, doctors, schools of medicine, various physiology clubs and the like (I'll refer to all of them as the Twitter MD) are all posting the same matter. The pattern I have observed is that there is almost always some sort of possible sponsorship or at the least a trusted journal/newspaper that this Twitter MD is devout to. Every week, it seems, the author shares the new edition of whatever medical news source it believes is the best. In addition, I find that the Twitter MD cannot stay away from the 'quick-fix' articles. These are the short, though irresistible, links that essentially exist to inform its audience how wrong they are currently living their lives. This sounds a bit cynical, but it is not wrong. Examples: "What you need to know about the Zika virus (before it's too late)", "12 minutes and 8 seconds to understand overdosing", "Why being dehydrated is slowly killing you". 
  2. I even fell victim to these irresistible stories. Their titles just have so much mystery, and I guess curiosity killed the cat. Or, in my case, killed my productivity. I spent 45 minutes learning all the benefits of coffee (believe me, there are a lot), and the discovery of carcinogens (let's just say mice always get the shitty end of any deal in science). Thanks a lot, @KevinMD. I have, however, found one exception (so far) to this basic Twitter MD mold that I have previously compared every page to. @LeahNTorres is an OB/GYN currently living in Utah. Yes, she performs abortions in what seems to be the Pro-Life capital of the nation. Her conversations are by far the most interesting because she responds with passion and sarcasm. The majority of her posts are debates or rally cries for political support. I imagine it would be very tough to be in her profession in the conservative state of Utah. Honestly, I would not be able to put up with people not accepting me for doing my job, so Dr. Torres certainly deserves a pat on the back for that one.
  3. Honestly, I had a pretty good feeling I knew what was going to be on the Twitter pages I researched. With what I found, I had guessed correctly. I actually hadn't anticipated the audience correctly, though. Besides the average person, it appeared that a large part of the readers these Twitter MDs catered to were actually other doctors. Quite a few of those irresistible quick-fix articles related to doctors themselves, and how not to get burned out or how to treat a transgender patient, etc. Overall, there was nothing too out of the ordinary or life changing that I found on Twitter specifically.





No comments:

Post a Comment