Sunday, March 6, 2016

Content Outline


Opening Section

  • Here I will introduce myself and my topic of discussion for the podcast. I will introduce the interviewees I will be using but none of their content just yet. From what I have heard from the genre examples, the first half a minute or so of podcasts are a lot of background knowledge that inform the reader about the setting for why the podcast is taking place.
    • Grabbing the Listener's Attention: I will definitely want to use some humor (although I don't know how I will specifically incorporate that) and sound effects at the very beginning to make my reader want to keep listening. I think I could also ask semi-rhetorical questions (i.e. questions that I ask now but won't be answered until later so my reader will want to keep listening). 
At Least 3 Main Body Sections
  • I want my first body paragraph to be an overview of the genres used in my field. Basic explanations and minor quotes from my interviewees describing what genres are most used and their basic conventions.
    • Evidence: Thiel's case study.
    • Evidence: Bailey's Proposal.
      • The importance and relevance of the evidence is their conventions, and moreover, the introduction of those conventions early on in the podcast. I know this might be an immediate dive into the details of publications but I want my audience to see the big picture and then zoom in on its relevance throughout my podcast by relating it to the jobs and actual work of these doctors.
  • My second paragraph will dive more into the personal stories of my interviewees using these genres. This 'paragraph'/section of the podcast will be heavily interviewee-based in its content. This is where most of my external clips will be located, I envision.
    • Evidence: (37 sec) Thiel talking about daily vs. long term publications
    • Evidence: (14 sec) Bailey talking about origination from Australia to UA for PhD into listing of publications.
      • So, following up with the importances described in the first paragraph, this evidence is doing the job of explaining more about the topics/genres/conventions but on a more down-to-earth level because of the relation to personal accounts. This evidence will be zooming in on the utilization of these genres in every day life.
  • My last body paragraph will be describing the relation between the two types of jobs I encountered with my interviewees and their respective writing genres. This is where I will move forward on my intentions and opinions and also talk a little about their plans for their future writing.
    • Evidence: Thiel's daily prescription writing vs. Bailey's 'takes four years' speech.
    • Evidence: Bailey's hopes for the future about writing for a medical journal (followed up with both doctors naming the medical journals they know of/subscribe to).
      • These pieces of evidence zoom in further on the 'personal account' part that I want to hit on, while also taking a very overarching look on the publications in relation to the whole medical field. The evidence that I am using in this section is really the words from the mouths of my interviewees. What I mean by that is that I want this section to really be about Dr. Bailey and Dr. Thiel, and not just their careers or publications.
Closing Section
  • My closing section will focus in on the writing observed in my field as a whole and the relation of my observed genres to general medical writing. I want the closing section to leave my reader wanting to do more research on my topic and so I also want to use this section to talk about the influence of social media in today's medical field and if/how these genres could change.
    • Larger Significance of My Subject: Since the overall significance of my topic is the place of medical publications in the broader scope of writing as a whole, I could convey this message with metaphors with descriptions in vivid imagery and accompanying sound effects and also explaining my personal vision to how these genres of publication could fit into my future plans for a career.
*Main idea(s) for each section is underlined


Additional Content:

  • Author, emotional appeals, context, audience, logical appeals, purpose, credibility, biased appeals.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of starting with an overview and then zeroing in on specifics later. Creates a narrative, creates momentum. Smart. But I do find myself wondering what specific genre conventions I might expect to see you analyze or explain in the project. I'm enjoying your unique, personal approach to organization. It makes sense. Only thing left is to make specific editorial choices about which of the rhetorical concepts and genre conventions the project will use.

    ReplyDelete