Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage



Past
Present
Future
  • Ceased
  • Was (7)
  • Announced
  • Made
  • Decided
  • Stopped
  • Gained
  • Have employed
  • Were (2)
  • Has been
  • Played
  • Taken
  • Placed
  • Has been aware
  • Incurred
  • Has existed
  • Portrayed
  • Geared
  • Forced
  • Solidified
  • Affected
  • Witnessed
  • Observed
  • Happened
  • Opened
  • Have declared
  • Purchase


  • Are (8)
  • Is (18)
  • Walk
  • Attempting
  • Roaming
  • Passing
  • Marks
  • Remove
  • Making
  • Selling (2)
  • Remain
  • Has
  • Following (2)
  • Stay
  • Evoke
  • Points
  • Scrapping
  • Receive
  • Has been declining
  • Fall
  • Recognize
  • Introduce
  • Implored
  • Understand
  • Hit
  • Surfaces
  • Have
  • Occur
  • Put
  • Asserts
  • Have
  • Conjure
  • Fixing
  • Puts
  • Remain
  • Influence
  • Take
  • Standing
  • Carries
  • Pare
        Will…
  •         Find
  •         Rally
  •         Dwindle
  •         Cripple
  •         Relocate
  •         Stop
  •         Endorse
  •         Have









1. Which tense is the most prevalent in your draft?

I used present tense the most often when telling about my controversy in all the lead up and recounting of history up until my event occurred. Even though it is history that I am covering most often, I still use the present tense because these verbs are continuing. They were not simple one-time actions that took place, they are lasting verbs that took place and are still taking place.

2. What effect does the current usage of tense have on the audience?

To my audience, these verbs may make my story almost seem like it is still in production of the story. And while the singular event took place, the controversy did not end there. The stakeholders are still currently feeling the changes induced by the action taken by CVS Pharmacy.

3. How do the shifts between tenses flow?

The majority of my report is covered in the past and present tenses. Many of the verbs are in the imperfect form, where they are in the past tense but do not represent a singular action of the past, but rather represent a continuing description that began in the past. My story bounces back and forth between covering specific actions from 2014 (simply past tense) and historical descriptions that date back to 2014 (imperfect past tense and some present tense). The last collection of paragraphs in my QRG is properly titled so that I may use the future tense without the organization of my project to be jarring.

4. Use of the present tense?

I am not exactly sure how I should answer this question since the majority of my verbs were in the present tense, but I did orchestrate that aspect on purpose. I wanted to obtain a real feel of a timeline in my project that began with CVS's controversial decision back in 2014, its current state of progression since then, and a look towards what this event means for the future of retail healthcare and the public. This event was not one that simply occurred and then remains in the past forever; it is a constantly evolving story since it covers the actions of a relevant company.

No comments:

Post a Comment