Saturday, April 2, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

Author

How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3?

I really like how this class has centered a lot on our majors/minors, and so I am exploring more in stories that have to do with medicine or at least relating to science. I would like to find a story that at least has some relation to my family or myself. For example, the story I found for the first project was interesting, but it had no relation to anything I was interested in. If there is some story in scientific news that could somehow relate to my situation, (as a girl, as a college student, as someone who's family member had cancer, etc.) that would be most preferable.

What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3?

I definitely think the side that I will argue on will be determined most by how I was raised. They say family has the biggest influence on one's political beliefs, and I think it is pretty safe to say that really applies to most if not all parts of life. I think, out of everything mentioned, my geographical location and my religion would have the least to do with any preconceptions about this project. Undoubtedly, I am an American, but within that, living in Arizona has not really given me any specific mindset about how to live my life. And also I am not religious, so there will not be a religious influence in my project. Update: I have chosen a story and actually think my lack of religious influence could play a part in the stance I take on my project.


Audience

How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? Describe them.


The way I am picturing my audience for this project (could be couples but) is primarily women; young women, like myself, up to the age of wanting children. Also, this project will be directed towards the male significant others of my primary audience.

What beliefs and assumptions might this audience already hold? What position are they likely to take on this issue? How will you respond to that position?

Since my topic will be on new forms of male birth control, it is likely that the audience should be in favor of it. If any part of my audience would be against the issue, it would be the men.

How might they react to your argument?

If any are opposed to my argument, they will likely react by (obviously) not purchasing the product and arguing the levels of invasiveness of the different forms of birth control that are available on the market.

How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?

I definitely think that just being a woman will help me connect with my primary audience. I will surely want to recognize the opposing side to my argument (I anticipate to be supported by the men, if anyone); or maybe not even the 'opposing' side but really just how guys would feel about this.

Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3. What could you tell them or say to them in order to convince them of your perspective? What would need to happen for them to agree with you?

Honestly, I would say college students fall perfectly into this category. There is no denying college students have sex; it isn't a secret. So, I think I will appeal to them as I would appeal to friends. I will just present the facts, and maybe a little bit of gender inequality to rally the ladies. College girls are always looking for excuses to prove themselves as equals, and even beyond that to point out everything wrong with society's gender norms. (Cynical? Yes. True? Yes.)


Purpose

What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience?

I want to sell my audience on why this form of male birth control is not only a step forward for the medical community, but for our society, as well. If my video gets couples talking (with each other) about different forms of birth control, I think that could not only provide stability in the relationship, but keep them safe, too. In the best situation, couples (or even men and women individually) will stay updated on the news of the developing story.


Once you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished?
The biggest thing to keep in mind with this story is that the product is still developing and is only very exclusively being tested in humans. I still have yet to hear about a personal story from a man who has tried the male birth control, so it is important to remember that the news being given out is not reporting on a final product. There are more side-effects in this makeshift version than in what will be the final product.



Context 




Genre

What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?

I will be making a video essay for project 3.

What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?

I would say that younger generations will have a greater tendency to look at videos because we're lazy, more technologically advanced, and are more likely to obtain news from youtube.

What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?

I have never made a video essay, though I have made videos before. I have not edited videos to the extent that I will be in this project, but I have had practice with editing audio (Podcast for project 2).

Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?

I am very nervous to add a visual component into editing because I don't know how to get myself out of a bad situation should I get into one. But I had the same fears about working with the podcast and that ended up turning out fine...so we shall see.

What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be specific.

I think the two most effective conventions of a video essay are titles that are intruiging and don't necessarily provide all the information in the video, and the different forms of media added (so, like external video and audio, and external pictures). These two grab and keep the viewer's attention.



When

Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include?

Most definitely. Birth control has been a huge topic of debate as long as it has been around. As birth control itself has become more and more accepted, the question now becomes, "why aren't there more forms of birth control that pertain to men?". Historically, all birth control is created for women. I will provide more information on the evolution of birth control in my project.


Who else is talking about this topic? Provide us with working hyperlinks to coverage of the controversy on FOUR different media outlets


What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.

I will have to respond to:

"The choices for men still suck. This shouldnt need to be a story though. Just wear a condom" (Comment section, Refinery 29)

"It is incredibly more invasive than even the procedures women have to go through." (Fox News Video)

"The changes are not permanent, but could inspire fertility side effects." (Science Alert)

No comments:

Post a Comment